Nursing Home Negligence Centralia, IL
Roughly 2.5 million senior citizens are subjected to nursing home negligence in America each year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Centralia, IL, the best thing that can be done is to contact our experienced attorneys quickly so that our attorneys can handle the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics related to personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Centralia, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Centralia, IL
Nursing home negligence when a caretaker at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and does not go about their job at the level that they are required to. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at serious risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and procure legal guidance. Nursing home employees are required to give a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Centralia, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to second-guess your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it is important to look after them and be sure that you understand the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Centralia, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to accurately dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given inaccurate amounts of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Ignoring medical commands – examples include: bed guard rails up so the patient is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is recommended to have a support device while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has given explicit instructions for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a patient is ordered to stay in bed, a caretaker is in charge of looking after them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined regularly and pressure sores form, this is a sign that nursing home negligence might be at play
- Failing to make the facility safe and hazard-free – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to ensure your loved one’s protection from potential hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other self-care practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It may feel as though you and your loved one are fighting against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to guide you and your loved one during this difficult time. Our lawyers will make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Centralia, IL. It already isn’t an easy choice to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help and make sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as easy and uncomplicated as possible. If you have any concerns at all while going through the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Centralia, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs including daily food and water, maintained personal hygiene, communication needs and other core basic needs should be taken care of. If this standard of care isn’t given, this might be an indication of nursing home negligence in Centralia, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help those in Centralia with their negligence cases and make sure that our clients will receive the maximum amount of compensation their case is eligible to recover for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Centralia, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if your loved one is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical costs, ambulance costs, physical or mental therapy, and costs for required medical accessories can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is unnaturally depressed, frightened, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, costs pertaining to a resident’s medication, and hospital appointments can definitely add up over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is not able to enjoy past times that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence like playing with their grandchildren, speaking with others, going for a stroll and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Centralia, IL
It is critical to understand how to find the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your loved one is randomly acting strange or has bruises, caretakers at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be a sign of neglect. It is important to establish an open line of communication with family member that resides in a nursing home. Communicating openly about subjects such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Centralia, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Centralia, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Centralia, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been hurt or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you fight against the retirement home and guarantee that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially terrible, as the primary goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and respect of patients, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to put a stop to this, so if you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not all cases are able to recover compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to meet in a location that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the highest amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your loved one put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Centralia, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.