Nursing Home Negligence Lawrenceville, IL
Approximately 2.5 million elderly adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your family member is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Lawrenceville, IL, the best thing that you can do is to contact our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas related to personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Lawrenceville, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Lawrenceville, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when an employee at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home employees are expected to offer a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Lawrenceville, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to second-guess your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and make sure that you know the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Lawrenceville, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to correctly dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given incorrect amounts of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Ignoring physicians’ orders – examples include: bed guard rails locked into place so a resident is prevented from rolling out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a walker while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has stated explicit orders for your family members’ care and they aren’t being followed, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a nursing home resident is bedridden, a caretaker is expected to looking after them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after often and pressure sores are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence might be at play
- Failure to keep the facility safe and hazard-free – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other self-care practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
It may seem like you and your family are dealing with something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to offer legal guidance during this emotionally trying time. Our lawyers will make it their priority to make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the options that are available to your loved one’s nursing home negligence claim in Lawrenceville, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy choice to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are here to help and put their all into making sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as simple and stress-free as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any concerns at all during the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Lawrenceville, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, their basic needs such as regular food and water, upkeep on personal hygiene, social needs and other fundamental needs should be taken care of. If this standard of care isn’t given, this could possibly be caused by nursing home negligence in Lawrenceville, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to assist those in Lawrenceville with their negligence claims and make sure that our clients will receive the maximum amount of compensation their case is eligible to recover for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Lawrenceville, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if a resident is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical bills, ambulance bills, physical or psychiatric therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical accessories can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting strange, is uncharacteristically sad, anxious, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical bills can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses pertaining to a resident’s medication, and doctor visits cab start to rack up over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is unable to enjoy activities that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence like playing with their grandkids, speaking with others, going for a stroll and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Lawrenceville, IL
It is important to understand how to spot the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is inexplicably acting different or feeling odd, someone at their nursing home might be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in many different ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence. It is important to create an open line of communication with family member that resides in a nursing home. Speaking openly about things such as financial matters, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Lawrenceville, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Lawrenceville, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Lawrenceville, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If your loved one has been harmed or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our attorneys can help you take action against the nursing home and ensure that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the main goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and respect of patients, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you are worried that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not all cases are able to recover damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help your family put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Lawrenceville, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.