Nursing Home Negligence Alexander County, IL
An estimated 2.5 million older adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Alexander County, IL, the smartest thing that can be done is to call our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that they can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Alexander County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Alexander County, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when an employee at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t perform their job at the level that they are expected to. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and get legal help. Nursing home caregivers are required to offer a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caretakers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Alexander County, IL
It can be tough to question your family member’s level of care in their nursing home, but it is important to check in on them and be sure that you understand the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself a variety of ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Alexander County, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to properly give nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been taking their medicine or has been given inaccurate dosages of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Not obeying physicians’ requests – examples include: safety guard rails up so they doesn’t fall out of bed, a patient is ordered to use a support device while mobile, strict diet rules and more. If a doctor has stated explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If a nursing home resident is ordered to stay in bed, their caregiver is expected to looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after regularly and bedsores are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence might be present
- Failure to keep the nursing home safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything in their power to ensure that your family member is safe from potential hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
It may feel as though you and your family member are battling against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to offer legal guidance during this hard time. Our attorneys will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the options that are available to your loved one’s nursing home negligence case in Alexander County, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy decision to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help and ensure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as pain-free and uncomplicated as possible. If you and your family have any concerns at all during the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Alexander County, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is placed in a nursing home, their fundamental needs like regular food and water, regular bathing and grooming, social needs and other fundamental needs should be cared for. If this standard of care isn’t met, this is likely a sign of nursing home negligence in Alexander County, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to assist those in Alexander County with their negligence claims and ensure that they will receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Alexander County, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if a resident is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical bills, ambulance costs, physical or mental therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting strange, is suddenly depressed, jumpy, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical costs can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, fees associated with a patient’s medication, and doctor appointments cab start to rack up over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home resident is no longer able to enjoy past times that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence such as watching after their grandchildren, chatting with other people, hiking and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Alexander County, IL
It is critical to learn how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your loved one is suddenly acting strange or is in pain, someone at their nursing home might be harming them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be a sign of neglect. It is vital to establish an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Communicating openly about subjects such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Alexander County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Alexander County, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Alexander County, IL, are knowledgeable in all aspects of personal injury. If your family member has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our attorneys can help you take action against the retirement home and guarantee that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and respect of your loved one, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to put a stop to this, so if you are worried that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not all cases are able to recover damages, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to travel to a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Alexander County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.