Nursing Home Negligence Du Quoin, IL
Roughly 2.5 million elderly adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America per year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your loved one is suffering from nursing home negligence in Du Quoin, IL, the best thing that you can do is to speak to our experienced attorneys immediately so that our lawyers can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Du Quoin, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Du Quoin, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when a staff member at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t go about their job at the level that they are expected to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at serious risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and get legal guidance. Nursing home employees are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent nursing home staff can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Du Quoin, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to question your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to check in on them and be sure that you know the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Du Quoin, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to correctly dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medication or has been given improper dosages of their medication, this can be due to nursing home negligence
- Failing to follow physicians’ commands – examples include: bed guard rails locked into place so the patient doesn’t fall out of bed, a patient is recommended to have a cane while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has given explicit rules for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If a patient is advised to stay in bed, nursing home staff is in charge of regularly examine them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after regularly and pressure sores are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence is present
- Failure to keep the premises safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their staff is doing everything in their power to ensure your loved one’s protection from possible hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It may feel as though you and your loved one are fighting against something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to provide legal counsel during this emotionally trying time. Our attorneys will ensure that your loved one is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your older family member’s nursing home negligence case in Du Quoin, IL. It already isn’t an easy decision to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are ready to help and put their all into making sure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as simple and stress-free as possible. If you have any concerns at all while going through the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Du Quoin, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, their fundamental needs like daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be cared for. If this level of care isn’t met, this could be caused by nursing home negligence in Du Quoin, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help those in Du Quoin with their negligence claims and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Du Quoin, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if a resident is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical costs, ambulance bills, physical or psychiatric therapy, and costs for required medical accessories can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a patient is acting different than usual, is suddenly depressed, jumpy, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical expenses can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses associated with a resident’s medication, and physician appointments have a tendency to buildup over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is no longer able to enjoy activities that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence such as chasing after their grandkids, chatting with other people, hiking and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Du Quoin, IL
It is important to learn how to find the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your loved one is randomly acting strange or has bruises, caretakers at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in various ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on an elderly family member’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is critical to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who is in a nursing home. Talking openly about subjects such as financial matters, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Du Quoin, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Du Quoin, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Du Quoin, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been harmed or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our lawyers are ready to help you take action against the facility and ensure that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the main goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and willpower of your loved one, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you suspect that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not all cases are eligible to receive damages, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your elderly family member put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Du Quoin, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.