Nursing Home Negligence Chester, IL
Roughly 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in the United States every year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your family member is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Chester, IL, the safest thing that can be done is to talk to our experienced attorneys immediately so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Chester, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Chester, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a staff member at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not do their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at serious risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and get legal help. Nursing home caretakers are required to provide a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caretakers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Chester, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it is important to check in on them and make sure that you understand the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself a variety of ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Chester, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to properly give nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been on their medication or has been given improper dosages of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Not obeying medical commands – examples include: safety guard rails raised so a resident is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a walker while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has stated explicit orders for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If a nursing home resident is bedridden, a caregiver is in charge of check in on them often to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after often and pressure sores develop, this is a sign that nursing home negligence might be at play
- Failing to make the grounds safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to make sure that your family member is safe from possible hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as food, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
You may think that you and your loved one are battling against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to guide you and your loved one during this difficult time. Our attorneys will make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your older family member’s nursing home negligence case in Chester, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to help and put their all into making sure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as pain-free and hassle-free as possible. If you have any questions at all throughout the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Chester, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, their basic needs such as regular food and water, maintained personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be attended to. If this level of care isn’t given, this is likely an indication of nursing home negligence in Chester, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help those in Chester with their negligence cases and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Chester, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if your loved one is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical fees, ambulance fees, physical or psychiatric therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical items can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a nursing home resident is acting strange, is uncharacteristically sad, frightened, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical bills can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, costs associated with a patient’s medication, and physician visits can definitely add up over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home patient is not able to partake in past times that they previously enjoyed such as chasing after their grandchildren, speaking with others, swimming and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Chester, IL
It is essential to be aware of how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is suddenly acting different or feeling odd, caretakers at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in many different ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include acting jumpy, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on an elderly family member’s body, this could be caused by neglect. It is essential to establish an open line of communication with family member that resides in a nursing home. Talking openly about topics such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Chester, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Chester, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Chester, IL, are well-versed in all aspects of personal injury. If your family member has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our attorneys are available to help you fight against the nursing home and ensure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly terrible, as the main goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of your family member, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you think that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our lawyers. While not everyone is eligible to receive damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are open to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the highest amount of damages and recoveries for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Chester, IL, contact the personal injury attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.