Nursing Home Negligence Venedy, IL
Roughly 2.5 million elderly adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America each year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Venedy, IL, the best thing that you can do is to talk to our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that our attorneys can handle the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Venedy, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Venedy, IL
Nursing home negligence when a staff member at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t do their job at the level that they are expected to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at high risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and seek legal counsel. Nursing home caretakers are expected to provide a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent nursing home staff can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Venedy, IL
It can be hard to second-guess your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and make sure that you know the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Venedy, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to accurately give nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medication or has been given inaccurate amounts of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Not following physicians’ commands – examples include: bed guard rails raised so they is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is recommended to use a cane while walking, strict diet rules and more. If a doctor has given explicit instructions for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If a nursing home resident is advised to stay in bed, their caregiver is expected to looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected often and pressure sores develop, this is a sign that nursing home negligence could possibly be at play
- Failing to make the facility safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything that they can to keep your family member safe from potential hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other self-care practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
You may think that you and your family are fighting against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to offer legal guidance during this hard time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will ensure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the paths that are available for your older family member’s nursing home negligence case in Venedy, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury attorneys are available to help and make sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as simple and stress-free as possible. If you and your family have any questions at all while going through the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Venedy, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is placed in a nursing home, their basic needs including regular food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be attended to. If this standard of care is not performed, this could possibly be caused by nursing home negligence in Venedy, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to assist those in Venedy with their negligence claims and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Venedy, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if your loved one is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical bills, ambulance fees, physical or mental therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical accessories can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting different than usual, is uncharacteristically depressed, anxious, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical costs can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, fees pertaining to a patient’s medication, and physician visits have a tendency to buildup over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is no longer able to enjoy past times that they previously enjoyed like chasing after their grandchildren, speaking with others, going for a stroll and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Venedy, IL
It is important to learn how to find the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting different or is in pain, caretakers at their nursing home might be harming them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a variety of ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by neglect. It is important to create an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Speaking openly about subjects such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Venedy, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Venedy, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Venedy, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been harmed or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our attorneys are ready to help you fight against the facility and ensure that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the main goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and respect of patients, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to put a stop to this, so if you think that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to travel to a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the highest amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Venedy, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.