Nursing Home Negligence Godfrey, IL
Roughly 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America per year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Godfrey, IL, the best thing that you can do is to talk to our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that our attorneys can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all topics related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Godfrey, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Godfrey, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a caretaker at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and does not do their job at the level that they should. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at extreme risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and get legal counsel. Nursing home employees are expected to give a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Godfrey, IL
It can be tough to question your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to check in on them and make sure that you understand the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Godfrey, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to correctly give nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given inaccurate amounts of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Ignoring medical orders – examples include: safety guard rails locked into place so they doesn’t fall out of bed, a patient is recommended to use a walker while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If medical personnel has given explicit rules for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If your family member is ordered to stay in bed, their caregiver is in charge of looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined regularly and bedsores form, this is a sign that nursing home negligence is at play
- Failure to keep the nursing home safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything that they can to make sure that your family member is safe from all hazards in the facility
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other self-care practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It may feel as though you and your family are fighting against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to guide you and your loved one during this emotionally trying time. Our attorneys will ensure that your loved one is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, what type of damages can be sought and the options that are available to your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Godfrey, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are here to help and make sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as painless and hassle-free as possible. If you have any concerns at all throughout the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Godfrey, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is put into a nursing home, their basic needs including daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be attended to. If this level of care isn’t met, this could be an indication of nursing home negligence in Godfrey, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help those in Godfrey with their negligence claims and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Godfrey, IL, include:
- Medical fees – if a resident is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical fees, ambulance fees, physical or cognitive therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical items can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is unnaturally sad, frightened, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical expenses can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, costs pertaining to a patient’s medication, and physician visits cab start to rack up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is unable to enjoy activities that they used to enjoy such as playing with their grandkids, chatting with other people, swimming and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Godfrey, IL
It is critical to know how to spot the signs of negligent care. If your elderly family member is randomly acting different or feeling odd, caretakers at their nursing home may be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a number of ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on an elderly family member’s body, this could be a sign of neglect. It is essential to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who lives in a nursing home. Speaking openly about things such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Godfrey, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Godfrey, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Godfrey, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If your loved one has been injured or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home employees, our attorneys can help you fight against the retirement home and make sure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly terrible, as the main goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and respect of your family member, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help you fight against this, so if you are worried that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not all cases are able to recover compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are willing to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the highest amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family fight against nursing home negligence in Godfrey, IL, contact the personal injury attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.