Nursing Home Negligence Oakdale, IL
An estimated 2.5 million older adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in the United States per year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your loved one is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Oakdale, IL, the best thing that you can do is to contact our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that our lawyers can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Oakdale, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Oakdale, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a caretaker at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and doesn’t perform their job at the level that they are expected to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at extreme risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and get legal guidance. Nursing home employees are required to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caregivers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Oakdale, IL
It can be tough to doubt your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it is important to keep an eye on them and be sure that you know the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Oakdale, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to properly give nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been on their medication or has been given incorrect amounts of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Failing to follow medical requests – examples include: bed guard rails locked into place so the patient won’t fall out of bed, required to use a support device while walking, strict diet rules and more. If medical personnel has given explicit instructions for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being heeded to, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If your family member is ordered to stay in bed, their caregiver is in charge of looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after often and pressure ulcers are present, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence might be at play
- Failure to keep the facility safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from potential hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
You may think that you and your family are battling against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to help your family during this difficult time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the options that are available to your loved one’s nursing home negligence claim in Oakdale, IL. It already isn’t an easy choice to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are available to help and ensure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as easy and hassle-free as possible. If you and your family have any worries at all throughout the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Oakdale, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs like daily food and water, upkeep on personal hygiene, communication needs and other core basic needs should be met at minimum. If this level of care isn’t given, this might be caused by nursing home negligence in Oakdale, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help those in Oakdale with their negligence claims and ensure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Oakdale, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – when a nursing home patient is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical bills, ambulance bills, physical or mental therapy, and money spent on required medical accessories can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting strange, is uncharacteristically depressed, anxious, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, expenses pertaining to a patient’s medication, and physician appointments cab start to rack up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is not able to enjoy past times that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence such as playing with their grandkids, talking with others, swimming and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Oakdale, IL
It is important to understand how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting different or feeling odd, staff at their nursing home may be harming them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a variety of ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on an elderly family member’s body, this could be caused by neglect. It is critical to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who is in a nursing home. Talking openly about subjects such as financial matters, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Oakdale, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Oakdale, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Oakdale, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our lawyers can help you fight against the facility and guarantee that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the main goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and willpower of patients, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to put a stop to this, so if you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are open to travel to a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your family member’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the highest amount of compensation for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Oakdale, IL, contact the personal injury attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.