Nursing Home Negligence Alma, IL
An estimated 2.5 million older adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in the United States every year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Alma, IL, the smartest thing that you can do is to contact our experienced lawyers quickly so that our lawyers can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics related to personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Alma, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Alma, IL
Nursing home negligence when a caretaker at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and does not do their job at the level that they are required to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home caretakers are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caregivers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Alma, IL
It can be hard to doubt your family member’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and be sure that you understand the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Alma, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to accurately dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given inaccurate dosages of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Failing to follow doctors’ orders – examples include: safety guard rails locked into place so they is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a support device while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has given explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If your family member is bedridden, their caregiver is in charge of regularly monitor them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not checked in on regularly and bedsores develop, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could possibly be present
- Failing to make the grounds safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your loved one is a resident at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to make sure that your family member is safe from all hazards in the facility
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as meals, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
You may think that you and your family member are dealing with something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help your family during this emotionally trying time. Our attorneys will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your older family member’s nursing home negligence claim in Alma, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to help and ensure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as easy and hassle-free as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any concerns at all throughout the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Alma, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is placed in a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be attended to. If this standard of care isn’t met, this could be an indication of nursing home negligence in Alma, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to assist those in Alma with their negligence cases and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Alma, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a nursing home patient is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical costs, ambulance bills, physical or cognitive therapy, and costs for required medical accessories can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is unnaturally sad, anxious, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical bills can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, expenses associated with a patient’s medication, and doctor visits cab start to rack up over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is unable to enjoy activities that they previously enjoyed such as watching after their grandchildren, speaking with other people, walking and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Alma, IL
It is vital to learn how to spot the signs of negligent care. If your elderly family member is randomly acting strange or feeling odd, caregivers at their nursing home might be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in various ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be a sign of neglect. It is important to establish an open line of communication with family member that is in a nursing home. Speaking openly about things such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Alma, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Alma, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Alma, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our lawyers can help you fight against the retirement home and ensure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially mean, as the main goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and respect of your loved one, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you are worried that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not everyone is eligible to receive damages, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are available to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the highest amount of compensation for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help your family fight against nursing home negligence in Alma, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.