Nursing Home Negligence Gallatin County, IL
Approximately 2.5 million senior citizens are subjected to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Gallatin County, IL, the safest thing that can be done is to talk to our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that our lawyers can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas related to personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Gallatin County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Gallatin County, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when an employee at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they should. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at serious risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and procure legal help. Nursing home caregivers are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caretakers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Gallatin County, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your loved one’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to check in on them and make sure that you know the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Gallatin County, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to correctly give nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been on their medicine or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Not following physicians’ orders – examples include: sleeping guard rails locked into place so they won’t fall out of bed, required to have a support device while walking, strict diet rules and more. If medical personnel has stated explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a nursing home resident is advised to stay in bed, a caregiver is expected to regularly examine them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after regularly and pressure ulcers form, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence is present
- Failure to keep the premises safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to ensure that your family member is safe from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as meals, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
You may think that you and your family member are battling against something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to offer legal guidance during this difficult time. Our attorneys will ensure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence case in Gallatin County, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help and make sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as simple and stress-less as possible. If you have any worries at all during the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Gallatin County, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is placed in a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as daily food and water, taking care of personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be met at minimum. If this level of care isn’t met, this is likely caused by nursing home negligence in Gallatin County, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to assist those in Gallatin County with their negligence cases and ensure that they will receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Gallatin County, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if your loved one is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical costs, ambulance costs, physical or psychiatric therapy, and fees for prescribed medical accessories can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if a patient is acting different than usual, is unnaturally sad, jumpy, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical costs can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, fees associated with a resident’s medication, and physician visits have a tendency to buildup over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is unable to partake in activities that they used to enjoy like playing with their grandkids, talking with others, going for a stroll and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Gallatin County, IL
It is vital to know how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your loved one is suddenly acting strange or feeling odd, caretakers at their nursing home could be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on an elderly family member’s body, this could be caused by neglect. It is essential to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Communicating openly about topics such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Gallatin County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Gallatin County, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Gallatin County, IL, are well-versed in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you fight against the retirement home and make sure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly terrible, as the primary goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and willpower of patients, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to put a stop to this, so if you think that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not everyone is eligible to receive damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are willing to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your elderly family member put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Gallatin County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.