Nursing Home Negligence Franklin County, IL
Approximately 2.5 million senior citizens are subjected to nursing home negligence in the U.S. each year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Franklin County, IL, the safest thing that you can do is to speak to our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that they can handle the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all topics related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Franklin County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Franklin County, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when an employee at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not do their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at serious risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and seek legal counsel. Nursing home caregivers are expected to provide a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent caregivers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Franklin County, IL
It can be hard to question your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it is important to look after them and be sure that you know the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in various ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Franklin County, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to properly give nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given inaccurate dosages of their medication, this can be due to nursing home negligence
- Not obeying medical commands – examples include: bed guard rails up so they doesn’t fall out of bed, a patient is ordered to use a cane while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has given explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If a patient is ordered to stay in bed, a caregiver is expected to looking after them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined regularly and pressure sores are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence could be present
- Failing to make the facility safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything in their power to ensure that your family member is safe from all hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as meals, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
It may feel as though you and your family are fighting against something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to guide you and your loved one during this emotionally trying time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will ensure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence case in Franklin County, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy decision to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our personal injury attorneys are available to help and ensure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as simple and hassle-free as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any concerns at all while going through the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Franklin County, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is residing in a nursing home, their fundamental needs like daily food and water, upkeep on personal hygiene, communication needs and other core basic needs should be cared for. If this standard of care is not performed, this might be a sign of nursing home negligence in Franklin County, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to assist those in Franklin County with their negligence claims and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Franklin County, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a nursing home patient is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance costs, physical or cognitive therapy, and costs for prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting strange, is suddenly depressed, frightened, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical costs can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses pertaining to a resident’s medication, and physician appointments have a tendency to buildup over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is not able to partake in past times that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence like watching after their grandchildren, chatting with other people, walking and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Franklin County, IL
It is vital to know how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your loved one is inexplicably acting strange or has bruises, caretakers at their nursing home may be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a number of ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be caused by nursing home negligence. It is essential to form an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Communicating openly about subjects such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Franklin County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Franklin County, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Franklin County, IL, are experienced in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been harmed or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our attorneys are available to help you fight against the facility and make sure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly terrible, as the primary goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and willpower of your family member, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help you fight against this, so if you suspect that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not all cases are able to recover damages, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are open to travel to a location that works best for you. Our attorneys will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family fight against nursing home negligence in Franklin County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.