Nursing Home Negligence Collinsville, IL
Approximately 2.5 million elderly adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in the U.S. per year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence in Collinsville, IL, the best thing that can be done is to speak to our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that our lawyers can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Collinsville, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Collinsville, IL
Nursing home negligence when an employee at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and does not go about their job at the level that they are expected to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at serious risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and get legal counsel. Nursing home caregivers are expected to give a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caretakers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Collinsville, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and make sure that you know the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself a variety of ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Collinsville, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to correctly give nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Not obeying physicians’ orders – examples include: sleeping guard rails raised so a resident doesn’t fall out of bed, required to use a walker while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If medical personnel has given explicit instructions for your family members’ care and they aren’t being heeded to, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a patient is ordered to stay in bed, a caretaker is expected to regularly monitor them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined regularly and bedsores develop, this is a sign that nursing home negligence is happening
- Failing to make the premises safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their staff is doing everything in their power to ensure your loved one’s protection from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It may seem like you and your family member are dealing with something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to offer legal guidance during this difficult time. Our attorneys will make it their priority to make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the options that are available to your older family member’s nursing home negligence claim in Collinsville, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to help and ensure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as easy and uncomplicated as possible. If you and your family have any worries at all during the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Collinsville, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is residing in a nursing home, their fundamental needs including regular food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be cared for. If this level of care isn’t given, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence in Collinsville, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to assist those in Collinsville with their negligence claims and make sure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Collinsville, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if a resident is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical bills, ambulance costs, physical or mental therapy, and money spent on required medical accessories can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting different than usual, is suddenly sad, jumpy, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, costs associated with a resident’s medication, and physician visits can definitely add up over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home resident is unable to partake in past times that they used to enjoy such as watching after their grandchildren, speaking with other people, going for a stroll and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Collinsville, IL
It is critical to know how to find the signs of negligent care. If your elderly family member is randomly acting different or has bruises, staff at their nursing home might be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in many different ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by neglect. It is essential to form an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Communicating openly about topics such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Collinsville, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Collinsville, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Collinsville, IL, are knowledgeable in all aspects of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been hurt or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our lawyers are ready to help you fight against the facility and make sure that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially terrible, as the primary goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and willpower of your family member, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to put a stop to this, so if you are worried that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is able to recover damages, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Collinsville, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.