Nursing Home Negligence Granite City, IL
An estimated 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in the United States each year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your family member is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Granite City, IL, the best thing that you can do is to call our experienced lawyers immediately so that our lawyers can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics related to personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Granite City, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Granite City, IL
Nursing home negligence when a caretaker at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and doesn’t do their job at the level that they are expected to. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home caretakers are required to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caregivers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Granite City, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to check in on them and be sure that you understand the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Granite City, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to accurately give nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been on their medicine or has been given incorrect amounts of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Ignoring physicians’ orders – examples include: sleeping guard rails up so the patient won’t fall out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a cane while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has given explicit instructions for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If your family member is ordered to stay in bed, a caregiver is in charge of regularly examine them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined often and bedsores form, this is a sign that nursing home negligence is present
- Failure to keep the grounds safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to make sure that your family member is safe from possible hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other self-care practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
It may feel as though you and your family are dealing with something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to offer legal guidance during this emotionally trying time. Our lawyers will make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence case in Granite City, IL. It already isn’t an easy decision to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help and put their all into making sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as easy and stress-less as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any questions at all during the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Granite City, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs like daily food and water, maintained personal hygiene, social needs and other fundamental needs should be cared for. If this level of care isn’t given, this might be an indication of nursing home negligence in Granite City, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help those in Granite City with their negligence cases and ensure that our clients will receive the maximum amount of compensation their case is eligible to recover for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Granite City, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical fees, ambulance fees, physical or psychiatric therapy, and fees for required medical items can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a patient is acting strange, is unnaturally sad, jumpy, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical costs can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses pertaining to a patient’s medication, and physician visits have a tendency to buildup over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is not able to enjoy activities that they used to enjoy such as watching after their grandkids, communicating with other people, going for a stroll and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Granite City, IL
It is critical to learn how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your loved one is suddenly acting strange or is in pain, caregivers at their nursing home might be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on an elderly family member’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is essential to establish an open line of communication with family member that is in a nursing home. Speaking openly about things such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Granite City, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Granite City, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Granite City, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If your loved one has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our attorneys are ready to help you fight against the facility and make sure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home employees should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and willpower of patients, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help you fight against this, so if you suspect that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not all cases are eligible to receive compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are available to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of compensation for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help your family put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Granite City, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.