Nursing Home Negligence Hardin County, IL
Approximately 2.5 million older adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in America per year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your family member is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Hardin County, IL, the safest thing that you can do is to contact our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that our lawyers can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Hardin County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Hardin County, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when an employee at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are expected to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at serious risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and get legal counsel. Nursing home caretakers are expected to offer a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caregivers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Hardin County, IL
It can be hard to doubt your loved one’s level of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and be sure that you understand the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Hardin County, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to correctly dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been given their medicine or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Not obeying medical requests – examples include: safety guard rails in place so a resident is prevented from rolling out of bed, a patient is ordered to use a walker while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has given explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If your loved one is bedridden, a caregiver is expected to check in on them often to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after regularly and bedsores are present, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could possibly be at play
- Failure to keep the grounds safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their employees are doing everything that they can to ensure that your family member is safe from potential hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It may seem like you and your family are battling against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to offer legal guidance during this difficult time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence case in Hardin County, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy decision to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help and make sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as painless and hassle-free as possible. If your family has any concerns at all throughout the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Hardin County, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs like daily food and water, maintained personal hygiene, social needs and other core basic needs should be cared for. If this level of care isn’t given, this might be caused by nursing home negligence in Hardin County, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to assist those in Hardin County with their negligence claims and make sure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Hardin County, IL, include:
- Medical costs – if a resident is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance costs, physical or mental therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical items can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting strange, is suddenly depressed, jumpy, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, costs pertaining to a patient’s medication, and hospital visits cab start to rack up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home resident is no longer able to enjoy activities that they used to enjoy such as chasing after their grandkids, chatting with others, going for a stroll and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Hardin County, IL
It is vital to know how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting different or is in pain, someone at their nursing home might be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence. It is critical to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Speaking openly about subjects such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Hardin County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Hardin County, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Hardin County, IL, are well-versed in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been harmed or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you fight against the retirement home and make sure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of patients, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you think that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not all cases are able to recover compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are available to meet in a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help your family fight against nursing home negligence in Hardin County, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.