Nursing Home Negligence Mount Carmel, IL
An estimated 2.5 million elderly adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in the U.S. every year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Mount Carmel, IL, the smartest thing that you can do is to contact our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that they can handle the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Mount Carmel, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Mount Carmel, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when a caretaker at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and doesn’t go about their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and procure legal help. Nursing home employees are required to give a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent caregivers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Mount Carmel, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to question your loved one’s level of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and be sure that you understand the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Mount Carmel, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to correctly dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been on their medication or has been given incorrect dosages of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Not following doctors’ requests – examples include: bed guard rails up so they doesn’t fall out of bed, required to have a walker while mobile, strict diet rules and more. If a physician has stated explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a nursing home resident is advised to stay in bed, a caretaker is in charge of regularly monitor them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not checked in on often and pressure ulcers develop, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence is at play
- Failure to keep the grounds safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from potential hazards in the facility
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
It may seem like you and your family member are dealing with something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to offer legal guidance during this difficult time. Our attorneys will make sure that your loved one is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Mount Carmel, IL. It already isn’t an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are available to help and put their all into making sure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as easy and stress-free as possible. If you have any questions at all while going through the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Mount Carmel, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be met at minimum. If this level of care isn’t given, this could possibly be a sign of nursing home negligence in Mount Carmel, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help those in Mount Carmel with their negligence cases and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Mount Carmel, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical fees, ambulance costs, physical or mental therapy, and fees for required medical accessories can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a patient is acting different than usual, is suddenly depressed, frightened, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical expenses can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, costs associated with a patient’s medication, and physician visits can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is not able to enjoy activities that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence such as chasing after their grandchildren, speaking with other people, going for a stroll and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Mount Carmel, IL
It is critical to know how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting different or feeling odd, staff at their nursing home might be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a number of ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be a sign of neglect. It is vital to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who lives in a nursing home. Talking openly about topics such as financial matters, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Mount Carmel, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Mount Carmel, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Mount Carmel, IL, are experienced in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you take action against the facility and guarantee that your family member is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially terrible, as the main goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the dignity, self-esteem and willpower of your loved one, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help you fight against this, so if you are worried that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is able to recover compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of compensation for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your elderly family member stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Mount Carmel, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.