Nursing Home Negligence Lawrence County, IL
An estimated 2.5 million elderly adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in the United States each year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Lawrence County, IL, the safest thing that can be done is to speak to our experienced attorneys quickly so that our attorneys can handle the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Lawrence County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Lawrence County, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when an employee at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at serious risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and procure legal help. Nursing home caregivers are expected to provide a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent caregivers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Lawrence County, IL
It can be tough to doubt your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it is important to keep an eye on them and be sure that you understand the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Lawrence County, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to properly dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been taking their medicine or has been given incorrect dosages of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Ignoring physicians’ orders – examples include: safety guard rails raised so a resident is prevented from rolling out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a cane while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has stated explicit orders for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If a patient is bedridden, their caregiver is in charge of check in on them often to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined often and bedsores develop, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence might be at play
- Failing to make the premises safe and hazard-free – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their employees are doing everything that they can to ensure your loved one’s protection from possible hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as food, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
It may feel as though you and your family are fighting against something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to offer legal guidance during this difficult time. Our attorneys will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the options that are available to your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Lawrence County, IL. It isn’t always an easy decision to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them experience nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are available to help and put their all into making sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as painless and hassle-free as possible. If you have any worries at all throughout the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Lawrence County, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is living in a nursing home, their basic needs such as daily food and water, maintained personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be cared for. If this level of care isn’t given, this might be an indication of nursing home negligence in Lawrence County, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to assist those in Lawrence County with their negligence claims and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Lawrence County, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – when a nursing home patient is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance fees, physical or psychiatric therapy, and fees for required medical accessories can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is suddenly depressed, jumpy, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical costs can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, expenses associated with a resident’s medication, and physician visits cab start to rack up over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home patient is unable to enjoy activities that they used to enjoy such as watching after their grandchildren, communicating with other people, walking and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Lawrence County, IL
It is vital to understand how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your loved one is suddenly acting different or has bruises, someone at their nursing home might be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a variety of ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is vital to form an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Communicating openly about subjects such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Lawrence County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Lawrence County, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Lawrence County, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been injured or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our attorneys are available to help you take action against the nursing home and make sure that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the honor, confidence and willpower of your loved one, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you are worried that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our lawyers. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to travel to a location that works best for you. Our attorneys will put their all into fighting for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your loved one stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Lawrence County, IL, contact the personal injury attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.