Nursing Home Negligence Edwards County, IL
Roughly 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America each year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your loved one is suffering from nursing home negligence in Edwards County, IL, the best thing that you can do is to contact our experienced attorneys quickly so that they can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Edwards County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Edwards County, IL
Nursing home negligence when an employee at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t do their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and seek legal guidance. Nursing home caregivers are required to give a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent caregivers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Edwards County, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to doubt your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to check in on them and be sure that you know the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself a variety of ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Edwards County, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to correctly dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been on their medicine or has been given inaccurate amounts of their medication, this might be caused by nursing home negligence
- Not obeying medical orders – examples include: safety guard rails up so the patient is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is recommended to use a support device while walking, strict diet rules and more. If medical personnel has given explicit orders for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If your family member is ordered to stay in bed, a caretaker is in charge of regularly examine them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected regularly and pressure ulcers develop, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be at play
- Failing to make the facility safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to keep your family member safe from possible hazards in the facility
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
It might seem as though you and your loved one are dealing with something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to offer legal guidance during this hard time. Our attorneys will ensure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you understand every step of the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence case in Edwards County, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy decision to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help and make sure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as simple and stress-free as possible. If you and your family have any questions at all during the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Edwards County, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is placed in a nursing home, their basic needs like daily food and water, upkeep on personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be cared for. If this level of care is not performed, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence in Edwards County, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to assist those in Edwards County with their negligence cases and make sure that our clients will receive the maximum amount of compensation their case is eligible to recover for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Edwards County, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if your loved one is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance costs, physical or mental therapy, and costs for required medical accessories can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if a patient is acting different than usual, is uncharacteristically sad, frightened, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses pertaining to a patient’s medication, and doctor appointments have a tendency to buildup over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home patient is not able to enjoy activities that they used to enjoy like playing with their grandchildren, speaking with others, hiking and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Edwards County, IL
It is important to be aware of how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your elderly family member is randomly acting different or feeling odd, caregivers at their nursing home might be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in many different ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is vital to form an open line of communication with your loved one who is in a nursing home. Speaking openly about things such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Edwards County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Edwards County, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Edwards County, IL, are knowledgeable in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been injured or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you take action against the facility and guarantee that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially mean, as the main goal of nursing home employees should be to preserve the honor, confidence and willpower of patients, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you think that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not everyone is able to recover compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are willing to travel to a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will put their all into fighting for your family member’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of compensation for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your loved one fight against nursing home negligence in Edwards County, IL, contact the personal injury attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.