Nursing Home Negligence Aviston, IL
Roughly 2.5 million senior citizens are exposed to nursing home negligence in America per year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence in Aviston, IL, the safest thing that you can do is to speak to our experienced lawyers quickly so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics related to personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Aviston, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Aviston, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a staff member at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t perform their job at the level that they should. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at extreme risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and get legal counsel. Nursing home caregivers are required to provide a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Aviston, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to doubt your loved one’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it is important to look after them and make sure that you understand the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself a variety of ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Aviston, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your family member is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to correctly give nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been taking their medication or has been given inaccurate dosages of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Ignoring physicians’ commands – examples include: safety guard rails locked into place so they is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is ordered to use a cane while walking, strict diet rules and more. If a doctor has stated explicit rules for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If your loved one is bedridden, a caregiver is in charge of regularly monitor them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not checked in on often and bedsores develop, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be happening
- Failing to make the facility safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their staff is doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from all hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other self-care practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It may seem like you and your family member are battling against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to provide legal counsel during this difficult time. Our attorneys will ensure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence claim in Aviston, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are here to help and ensure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as easy and uncomplicated as possible. If your family has any concerns at all while going through the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Aviston, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is residing in a nursing home, their basic needs including daily food and water, taking care of personal hygiene, communication needs and other core basic needs should be cared for. If this standard of care is not performed, this could possibly be caused by nursing home negligence in Aviston, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to assist those in Aviston with their negligence claims and ensure that they will receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Aviston, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical fees, ambulance fees, physical or cognitive therapy, and money spent on prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting different than usual, is unnaturally sad, frightened, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, fees associated with a resident’s medication, and physician appointments cab start to rack up over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home resident is not able to enjoy activities that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence like playing with their grandkids, chatting with other people, going for a stroll and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Aviston, IL
It is important to know how to find the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting strange or is in pain, staff at their nursing home could be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in various ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by nursing home negligence. It is essential to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who is in a nursing home. Talking openly about topics such as financial matters, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Aviston, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Aviston, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Aviston, IL, are well-versed in all aspects of personal injury. If a nursing home patient has been harmed or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our lawyers are ready to help you fight against the retirement home and make sure that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and willpower of your family member, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you suspect that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is able to recover compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to meet in a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your elderly family member fight against nursing home negligence in Aviston, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.