Nursing Home Negligence Washington County, IL
An estimated 2.5 million elderly adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Washington County, IL, the best thing that can be done is to contact our experienced attorneys quickly so that our lawyers can handle the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all areas related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Washington County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Washington County, IL
Nursing home negligence when a staff member at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and procure legal guidance. Nursing home caregivers are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent caretakers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Washington County, IL
It can be tough to second-guess your family member’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and be sure that you understand the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself many different ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Washington County, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to properly give nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been taking their medication or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Failing to follow doctors’ commands – examples include: safety guard rails locked into place so a resident won’t fall out of bed, required to have a cane while mobile, strict diet rules and more. If a doctor has stated explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If a patient is bedridden, nursing home staff is expected to looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined regularly and pressure ulcers are present, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be present
- Failing to make the grounds safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to ensure your loved one’s protection from possible hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
You may think that you and your family member are fighting against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to provide legal counsel during this hard time. Our attorneys will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, which damages you can seek and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Washington County, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy choice to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are ready to help and ensure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as pain-free and uncomplicated as possible. If you have any worries at all during the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Washington County, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is placed in a nursing home, their basic needs including daily food and water, upkeep on personal hygiene, communication needs and other core basic needs should be met at minimum. If this level of care is not performed, this is likely a sign of nursing home negligence in Washington County, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help those in Washington County with their negligence claims and ensure that they will receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Washington County, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical fees, ambulance bills, physical or mental therapy, and fees for prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if a patient is acting strange, is uncharacteristically depressed, frightened, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses associated with a resident’s medication, and physician visits cab start to rack up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is no longer able to partake in past times that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence such as chasing after their grandchildren, communicating with others, going for a stroll and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Washington County, IL
It is vital to know how to find the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is inexplicably acting strange or feeling odd, caregivers at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in various ways, but is typically emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by nursing home negligence. It is essential to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who is in a nursing home. Speaking openly about topics such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Washington County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Washington County, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Washington County, IL, are well-versed in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been harmed or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you take action against the nursing home and guarantee that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the main goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and willpower of your family member, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to put a stop to this, so if you think that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not everyone is eligible to receive damages, most claims are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your family member’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help your family fight against nursing home negligence in Washington County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.