Nursing Home Negligence Sims, IL
Approximately 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in the U.S. per year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your loved one is being harmed from nursing home negligence in Sims, IL, the smartest thing that you can do is to speak to our experienced lawyers quickly so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all topics related to personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Sims, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Sims, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a caretaker at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and doesn’t perform their job at the level that they are expected to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at high risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and procure legal guidance. Nursing home caretakers are required to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent nursing home staff can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Sims, IL
It can be hard to doubt your loved one’s level of care in their nursing home, but it is important to check in on them and make sure that you understand the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Sims, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to properly give nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been taking their medication or has been given incorrect amounts of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Not obeying medical requests – examples include: sleeping guard rails locked into place so they is prevented from falling out of bed, required to use a cane while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has given explicit instructions for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If your loved one is advised to stay in bed, a caretaker is expected to check in on them often to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not checked in on often and pressure ulcers form, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be happening
- Failure to keep the grounds safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your loved one is a resident at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to ensure your loved one’s protection from possible hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It might seem as though you and your family are dealing with something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to provide legal counsel during this emotionally trying time. Our attorneys will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence case in Sims, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to help and put their all into making sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as easy and uncomplicated as possible. If your family has any questions at all during the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Sims, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is living in a nursing home, their fundamental needs including daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be cared for. If this standard of care isn’t met, this might be caused by nursing home negligence in Sims, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to assist those in Sims with their negligence claims and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Sims, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a nursing home patient is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance fees, physical or mental therapy, and fees for prescribed medical accessories can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is uncharacteristically depressed, frightened, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses pertaining to a resident’s medication, and physician visits can definitely add up over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home resident is unable to partake in past times that they used to enjoy like playing with their grandchildren, chatting with other people, going for a stroll and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Sims, IL
It is vital to understand how to find the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is inexplicably acting strange or is in pain, someone at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a variety of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is essential to create an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Talking openly about things such as financial matters, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Sims, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Sims, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Sims, IL, are well-versed in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been hurt or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers are ready to help you fight against the retirement home and make sure that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and willpower of your family member, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you are worried that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not all cases are able to recover damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are open to travel to a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your elderly family member stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Sims, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.