Nursing Home Negligence Sparta, IL
Approximately 2.5 million senior citizens are subjected to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence in Sparta, IL, the best thing that can be done is to talk to our experienced lawyers immediately so that they can handle the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all topics related to personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Sparta, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Sparta, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when an employee at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at extreme risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and get legal guidance. Nursing home caregivers are required to give a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caregivers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Sparta, IL
It can be hard to question your loved one’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and be sure that you understand the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself many different ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Sparta, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to accurately dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been taking their medication or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this can be due to nursing home negligence
- Not obeying medical commands – examples include: bed guard rails raised so a resident is prevented from rolling out of bed, a patient is recommended to use a support device while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has given explicit orders for your family members’ care and they aren’t being followed, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a nursing home resident is advised to stay in bed, their caregiver is in charge of regularly examine them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not examined often and bedsores are present, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence is present
- Failure to keep the grounds safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything that they can to ensure your loved one’s protection from potential hazards in the facility
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
You may think that you and your family member are battling against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to provide legal counsel during this difficult time. Our attorneys will ensure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Sparta, IL. It already isn’t an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help and ensure that holding the negligent nursing home liable for nursing home negligence is as simple and hassle-free as possible. If you and your family have any worries at all throughout the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Sparta, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is residing in a nursing home, their basic needs like daily food and water, taking care of personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be attended to. If this standard of care isn’t met, this is likely caused by nursing home negligence in Sparta, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help those in Sparta with their negligence claims and ensure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Sparta, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if your loved one is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical bills, ambulance fees, physical or mental therapy, and expenses for required medical items can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if a nursing home resident is acting strange, is uncharacteristically sad, anxious, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, costs associated with a resident’s medication, and physician appointments can definitely add up over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home resident is not able to partake in past times that they used to enjoy such as chasing after their grandkids, talking with other people, going for a stroll and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Sparta, IL
It is important to learn how to find the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is inexplicably acting different or is in pain, someone at their nursing home could be harming them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a variety of ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on an elderly family member’s body, this could be caused by nursing home negligence. It is important to form an open line of communication with your loved one who is in a nursing home. Talking openly about subjects such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they should do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Sparta, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Sparta, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Sparta, IL, are well-versed in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been hurt or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you fight against the nursing home and make sure that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly mean, as the main goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the dignity, self-esteem and willpower of your family member, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys won’t stand for that, so if you think that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not everyone is able to recover damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your loved one fight against nursing home negligence in Sparta, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.