Nursing Home Negligence Piatt County, IL
Roughly 2.5 million older adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Piatt County, IL, the smartest thing that you can do is to talk to our experienced lawyers immediately so that our attorneys can take care of the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Piatt County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Piatt County, IL
Nursing home negligence when a staff member at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and doesn’t go about their job at the level that they should. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at extreme risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and get legal guidance. Nursing home caretakers are required to offer a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent nursing home staff can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Piatt County, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to question your loved one’s level of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and be sure that you know the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in various ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Piatt County, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caregivers to correctly dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been on their medicine or has been given incorrect dosages of their medication, this might be caused by nursing home negligence
- Ignoring medical orders – examples include: safety guard rails in place so they won’t fall out of bed, a patient is recommended to have a cane while mobile, strict diet rules and more. If a doctor has given explicit rules for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If your loved one is bedridden, a caretaker is in charge of regularly monitor them to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not checked in on often and pressure sores form, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be present
- Failing to make the grounds safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything in their power to ensure your loved one’s protection from possible hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
It may seem like you and your family member are battling against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to offer legal guidance during this emotionally trying time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will ensure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, what type of damages can be sought and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence claim in Piatt County, IL. It isn’t always an easy decision to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to help and make sure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as easy and hassle-free as possible. If you and your family have any worries at all during the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Piatt County, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, their basic needs including daily food and water, taking care of personal hygiene, communication needs and other core basic needs should be cared for. If this standard of care is not performed, this is likely caused by nursing home negligence in Piatt County, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help those in Piatt County with their negligence claims and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Piatt County, IL, include:
- Medical costs – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical bills, ambulance fees, physical or mental therapy, and costs for prescribed medical accessories can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting strange, is suddenly sad, anxious, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if the injuries were caused by nursing home staff members
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, expenses pertaining to a resident’s medication, and doctor appointments can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home patient is no longer able to enjoy past times that they used to enjoy like chasing after their grandchildren, communicating with other people, going for a stroll and other past times because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Piatt County, IL
It is vital to know how to find the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is suddenly acting different or is in pain, someone at their nursing home may be harming them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by nursing home negligence. It is critical to establish an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Talking openly about topics such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Piatt County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Piatt County, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Piatt County, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been hurt or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home employees, our lawyers can help you fight against the retirement home and guarantee that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially terrible, as the main goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of your family member, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you think that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our lawyers. While not all cases are able to recover compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to travel to a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your loved one stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Piatt County, IL, contact the personal injury attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.