Nursing Home Negligence Steeleville, IL
Approximately 2.5 million older adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in the United States each year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Steeleville, IL, the best thing that can be done is to speak to our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Steeleville, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Steeleville, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a staff member at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and doesn’t perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at serious risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and seek legal help. Nursing home employees are required to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caretakers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Steeleville, IL
It can be hard to second-guess your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to check in on them and be sure that you know the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in many different ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Steeleville, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to correctly dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been given their medication or has been given incorrect dosages of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Ignoring physicians’ requests – examples include: bed guard rails raised so they is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is ordered to use a walker while mobile, strict diet rules and more. If medical personnel has stated explicit rules for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If a nursing home resident is ordered to stay in bed, a caregiver is in charge of looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after often and pressure sores are present, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could possibly be happening
- Failing to make the facility safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your loved one is a resident at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything in their power to ensure your loved one’s protection from potential hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as food, water, or providing a safe and hazard-free environment
It may feel as though you and your loved one are fighting against something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to provide legal counsel during this difficult time. Our attorneys will make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the options that are available to your family’s nursing home negligence claim in Steeleville, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help and make sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as simple and uncomplicated as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any worries at all during the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Steeleville, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is residing in a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be taken care of. If this standard of care is not performed, this might be caused by nursing home negligence in Steeleville, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help those in Steeleville with their negligence claims and ensure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with an impactful nursing home negligence claim in Steeleville, IL, include:
- Medical fees – when a nursing home patient is neglected and develops an illnesses because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical bills, ambulance costs, physical or mental therapy, and fees for prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Pain and suffering – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting strange, is uncharacteristically depressed, jumpy, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical expenses can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, expenses pertaining to a resident’s medication, and hospital visits can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is unable to partake in past times that they used to enjoy such as playing with their grandchildren, communicating with other people, swimming and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Steeleville, IL
It is vital to know how to find the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your loved one is inexplicably acting different or is in pain, caregivers at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a number of ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on your loved one’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is important to establish an open line of communication with your loved one who resides in a nursing home. Talking openly about topics such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Steeleville, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Steeleville, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Steeleville, IL, are experienced in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been hurt or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you take action against the facility and ensure that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly mean, as the main goal of nursing home employees should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of your loved one, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you suspect that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not all cases are able to recover damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the highest amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your elderly family member stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Steeleville, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.