Nursing Home Negligence Massac County, IL
Approximately 2.5 million older adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in America each year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Massac County, IL, the safest thing that you can do is to contact our experienced lawyers quickly so that our lawyers can handle the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Massac County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Massac County, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a staff member at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are required to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at extreme risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is vital to act quickly and seek legal counsel. Nursing home caregivers are expected to give a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent caretakers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Massac County, IL
It can be tough to doubt your family member’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it is important to keep an eye on them and make sure that you understand the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself many different ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Massac County, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your family member is unusually quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to correctly dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been on their medication or has been given improper amounts of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Failing to follow doctors’ orders – examples include: safety guard rails raised so the patient is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is ordered to have a cane while mobile, strict diet rules and more. If medical personnel has stated explicit orders for your family members’ care and they aren’t being heeded to, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If a patient is ordered to stay in bed, a caretaker is in charge of regularly monitor them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected regularly and pressure ulcers are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence could be happening
- Failure to keep the grounds safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their staff is doing everything that they can to make sure that your family member is safe from possible hazards in the facility
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as food, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
It may feel as though you and your family member are dealing with something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to guide you and your loved one during this emotionally trying time. Our lawyers will ensure that your family member is safe and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence case in Massac County, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help and make sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as simple and stress-less as possible. If your family has any questions at all during the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Massac County, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is living in a nursing home, their fundamental needs like regular food and water, regular bathing and grooming, social needs and other fundamental needs should be met at minimum. If this standard of care isn’t met, this could be an indication of nursing home negligence in Massac County, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help those in Massac County with their negligence claims and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are eligible to be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Massac County, IL, include:
- Medical costs – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical costs, ambulance costs, physical or cognitive therapy, and fees for required medical accessories can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting strange, is uncharacteristically depressed, anxious, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, costs associated with a patient’s medication, and physician appointments can definitely add up over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is unable to partake in past times that they used to enjoy such as watching after their grandchildren, chatting with others, swimming and other past times because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Massac County, IL
It is critical to understand how to find the signs of negligent care. If your elderly family member is randomly acting strange or is in pain, caregivers at their nursing home might be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include acting jumpy, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is critical to create an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Communicating openly about topics such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help prevent nursing home negligence in Massac County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Massac County, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Massac County, IL, are experienced in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been harmed or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our lawyers can help you take action against the facility and guarantee that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially terrible, as the main goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and willpower of patients, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys won’t stand for that, so if you suspect that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not all cases are eligible to receive damages, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are willing to meet in a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of damages and recoveries for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help your family put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Massac County, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.