Nursing Home Negligence Evansville, IL
Roughly 2.5 million senior citizens are exposed to nursing home negligence in the U.S. per year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can present itself, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you suspect that your loved one is experiencing nursing home negligence in Evansville, IL, the smartest thing that can be done is to speak to our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that our attorneys can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected loved one are safe and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Evansville, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Evansville, IL
Nursing home negligence happens when a staff member at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t go about their job at the level that they should. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at extreme risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is critical to act quickly and get legal help. Nursing home caretakers are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent caretakers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Evansville, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to question your loved one’s level of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and make sure that you understand the symptoms of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Evansville, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to accurately give nursing home patients their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been given their medication or has been given inaccurate dosages of their medication, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Not obeying doctors’ requests – examples include: sleeping guard rails locked into place so they is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is recommended to have a walker while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has given explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If a nursing home resident is bedridden, a caregiver is expected to looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after often and pressure sores are present, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could be at play
- Failing to make the nursing home safe and hazard-free – nursing homes have a duty to make sure that the facility that your loved one is a resident at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from possible hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
It may feel as though you and your family are battling against something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help your family during this emotionally trying time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will make sure that your family member is secure and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the paths that are available for your older family member’s nursing home negligence claim in Evansville, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help and ensure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as painless and uncomplicated as possible. If your family has any questions at all while going through the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Evansville, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is placed in a nursing home, their basic needs such as daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, social needs and other core basic needs should be taken care of. If this level of care isn’t met, this could possibly be caused by nursing home negligence in Evansville, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to help those in Evansville with their negligence cases and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Evansville, IL, include:
- Medical fees – if a resident is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical costs, ambulance fees, physical or psychiatric therapy, and fees for prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is unnaturally sad, frightened, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical expenses can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, expenses pertaining to a patient’s medication, and doctor visits cab start to rack up over time, so our lawyers will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home patient is no longer able to enjoy activities that they used to enjoy like chasing after their grandkids, chatting with other people, going for a stroll and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Evansville, IL
It is vital to learn how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your loved one is randomly acting strange or feeling odd, staff at their nursing home could be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in a variety of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be caused by neglect. It is essential to create an open line of communication with your loved one who is in a nursing home. Communicating openly about topics such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Evansville, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Evansville, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Evansville, IL, are experienced in all areas of personal injury. If your loved one has been hurt or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our lawyers are ready to help you fight against the facility and ensure that your family member is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially terrible, as the primary goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and willpower of your loved one, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you suspect that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your loved one fight against nursing home negligence in Evansville, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.