Nursing Home Negligence Fairview Heights, IL
An estimated 2.5 million senior citizens are subjected to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Fairview Heights, IL, the best thing that you can do is to speak to our experienced lawyers immediately so that they can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Fairview Heights, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Fairview Heights, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when an employee at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they are expected to. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at high risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and get legal help. Nursing home employees are required to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent nursing home staff can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Fairview Heights, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to second-guess your family member’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and make sure that you understand the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Fairview Heights, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to properly dispense nursing home residents their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been taking their medication or has been given inaccurate amounts of their medication, this might be caused by nursing home negligence
- Not obeying medical commands – examples include: bed guard rails raised so the patient won’t fall out of bed, required to use a cane while walking, strict diet rules and more. If a physician has stated explicit orders for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being heeded to, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If your family member is bedridden, nursing home staff is expected to looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not looked after often and pressure sores are present, this is a sign that nursing home negligence could possibly be present
- Failure to keep the nursing home safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your loved one is a resident at is safe and that their employees are doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from potential hazards in the facility
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other self-care practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as food, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
It might seem as though you and your family are fighting against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to guide you and your loved one during this emotionally trying time. Our attorneys will make it their priority to make sure that your family member is safe and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence case in Fairview Heights, IL. It already isn’t an easy decision to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help and put their all into making sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as painless and hassle-free as possible. If your family has any concerns at all while going through the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Fairview Heights, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is living in a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as daily food and water, regular bathing and grooming, communication needs and other core basic needs should be taken care of. If this standard of care isn’t met, this might be caused by nursing home negligence in Fairview Heights, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help those in Fairview Heights with their negligence cases and ensure that our clients will receive the maximum amount of compensation their case is eligible to recover for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Fairview Heights, IL, include:
- Medical fees – if a resident is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical bills, ambulance costs, physical or cognitive therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical accessories can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if a nursing home resident is acting strange, is unnaturally depressed, frightened, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home patient is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical bills can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, costs pertaining to a patient’s medication, and doctor visits have a tendency to buildup over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Unable to enjoy favorite past times – if a nursing home resident is not able to enjoy past times that they previously enjoyed such as watching after their grandkids, chatting with others, swimming and other activities because of injuries caused by nursing home negligence, many states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Fairview Heights, IL
It is important to know how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your loved one is suddenly acting strange or feeling odd, staff at their nursing home might be harming them. Nursing home negligence can happen in various ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on an elderly family member’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is critical to establish an open line of communication with family member that is in a nursing home. Talking openly about topics such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Fairview Heights, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Fairview Heights, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Fairview Heights, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If your loved one has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our attorneys are ready to help you take action against the facility and make sure that your family member is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly cruel, as the primary goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the honor, confidence and respect of your family member, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to put a stop to this, so if you suspect that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our lawyers. While not all cases are eligible to receive compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our lawyers are open to travel to a location that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of damages and recoveries for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your elderly family member fight against nursing home negligence in Fairview Heights, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.