Nursing Home Negligence Fayette County, IL
An estimated 2.5 million elderly adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in America every year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is typically physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is suffering from nursing home negligence in Fayette County, IL, the safest thing that can be done is to call our experienced attorneys immediately so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when dealing with nursing home negligence in Fayette County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Fayette County, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when an employee at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and does not go about their job at the level that they are expected to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your elderly family member at serious risk, so if you suspect that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and procure legal help. Nursing home caregivers are expected to provide a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caretakers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Fayette County, IL
It can be tough to question your family member’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and make sure that you know the symptoms of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself a variety of ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Fayette County, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your family member is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failure to provide accurate medication – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to properly dispense nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been taking their medication or has been given incorrect dosages of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Failing to follow medical requests – examples include: sleeping guard rails raised so a resident is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is recommended to use a walker while walking, dietary restrictions and more. If a doctor has stated explicit rules for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being followed, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If your family member is advised to stay in bed, their caregiver is expected to regularly examine them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected regularly and pressure ulcers form, this is a sign that nursing home negligence might be at play
- Failure to keep the premises safe and hazard-free – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their staff is doing everything in their power to ensure your loved one’s protection from potential hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as sustenance, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
You may think that you and your family member are dealing with something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to offer legal guidance during this difficult time. Our attorneys will make sure that your loved one is secure and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your older family member’s nursing home negligence claim in Fayette County, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to place your family member in a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help and ensure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as pain-free and stress-free as possible. If you and your elderly loved one have any worries at all throughout the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Fayette County, IL
The formal definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your family member is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as daily food and water, taking care of personal hygiene, social needs and other core basic needs should be taken care of. If this level of care is not performed, this is likely caused by nursing home negligence in Fayette County, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help those in Fayette County with their negligence claims and make sure that our clients will receive the maximum amount of compensation their case is eligible to recover for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Fayette County, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if your loved one is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any medicine costs, medical bills, ambulance costs, physical or psychiatric therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical items can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if a patient is acting strange, is suddenly depressed, anxious, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a valid nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, costs pertaining to a resident’s medication, and doctor appointments cab start to rack up over time, so our lawyers will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home resident is unable to enjoy past times that they used to enjoy like chasing after their grandchildren, chatting with others, swimming and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Fayette County, IL
It is important to know how to find the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting different or is in pain, someone at their nursing home could be harming them. Nursing home negligence can happen in many different ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and a suddenly cautious demeanor. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by neglect. It is vital to form an open line of communication with family member that is in a nursing home. Communicating openly about things such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Fayette County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Fayette County, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Fayette County, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been injured or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home employees, our lawyers are ready to help you fight against the retirement home and guarantee that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is particularly mean, as the main goal of nursing home caretakers should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of your family member, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help you fight against this, so if you think that your family member is suffering from nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not all cases are eligible to receive compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are open to travel to a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will put their all into fighting for your loved one’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the most in monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your elderly family member fight against nursing home negligence in Fayette County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.