Nursing Home Negligence Glen Carbon, IL
Approximately 2.5 million senior citizens are exposed to nursing home negligence in the U.S. every year. There are many different ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Glen Carbon, IL, the safest thing that you can do is to contact our experienced lawyers as soon as possible so that our lawyers can take care of the situation. Our lawyers are knowledgeable in all topics related to personal injury and will ensure that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Glen Carbon, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Glen Carbon, IL
Nursing home negligence when a caretaker at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not perform their job at the level that they should. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can happen including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is essential to act quickly and procure legal guidance. Nursing home employees are expected to give a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Glen Carbon, IL
It can be emotionally difficult to second-guess your family member’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to keep an eye on them and make sure that you know the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in a variety of ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Glen Carbon, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home staff to properly give nursing home patients their medication. If your family member hasn’t been given their medication or has been given inaccurate dosages of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Failing to follow doctors’ requests – examples include: safety guard rails up so a resident won’t fall out of bed, a patient is recommended to have a cane while walking, strict diet rules and more. If a physician has given explicit rules for your loved ones’ care and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If your loved one is bedridden, a caregiver is in charge of looking after them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected often and bedsores form, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence is at play
- Failure to keep the grounds safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your loved one is a resident at is safe and that their employees are doing everything that they can to ensure your loved one’s protection from all hazards on the grounds
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other hygienic practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It may feel as though you and your family are fighting against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence attorneys are here to provide legal counsel during this difficult time. Our nursing home negligence lawyers will make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you understand every step of the process, the type of damages you can claim and the paths that are available for your loved one’s nursing home negligence claim in Glen Carbon, IL. It isn’t always an easy choice to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury lawyers are available to help and ensure that fighting against the negligent nursing home is as easy and stress-free as possible. If you have any worries at all throughout the process, our lawyers are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Glen Carbon, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the standard of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, their basic needs like regular food and water, regular bathing and grooming, social needs and other fundamental needs should be attended to. If this standard of care isn’t met, this is likely caused by nursing home negligence in Glen Carbon, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are ready to assist those in Glen Carbon with their negligence cases and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their pain and suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Glen Carbon, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – when a resident of a nursing home is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical bills, ambulance bills, physical or cognitive therapy, and expenses for prescribed medical items can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting strange, is unnaturally depressed, frightened, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident suffers scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, a claim can be made for these injuries if a nursing home employee is found at-fault
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical costs can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy fees, costs associated with a patient’s medication, and hospital visits can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home patient is not able to enjoy past times that they previously enjoyed such as playing with their grandkids, talking with others, walking and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Glen Carbon, IL
It is essential to be aware of how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your elderly family member is randomly acting strange or feeling odd, someone at their nursing home could be harming them. Nursing home negligence can occur in various ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include jumpiness, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you see bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on an elderly family member’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is critical to form an open line of communication with your loved one who lives in a nursing home. Communicating openly about things such as financial matters, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene assistance and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Glen Carbon, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL, are well-versed in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been injured or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home employees, our lawyers are available to help you fight against the facility and ensure that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the main goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the dignity, self-esteem and willpower of your loved one, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys won’t stand for that, so if you think that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to meet in a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the maximum amount of damages and recoveries for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your elderly family member fight against nursing home negligence in Glen Carbon, IL, contact the personal injury lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.