Nursing Home Negligence Edwardsville, IL
An estimated 2.5 million senior citizens are exposed to nursing home negligence in America each year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you think that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Edwardsville, IL, the best thing that can be done is to contact our experienced attorneys quickly so that our attorneys can handle the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all areas related to personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Edwardsville, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Edwardsville, IL
Nursing home negligence when an employee at a nursing home doesn’t pay attention to their patients’ level of care and doesn’t do their job at the level that they are required to. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at high risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and procure legal counsel. Nursing home caretakers are required to provide a certain level of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t offered, negligent nursing home staff can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Edwardsville, IL
It can be tough to question your loved one’s standard of care in their nursing home, but it must be done in order to look after them and make sure that you know the signs of potential nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in various ways, but some of the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Edwardsville, IL, include:
- Psychological distress- if your loved one is unusually quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medication errors – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to accurately give nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been taking their medicine or has been given incorrect amounts of their medication, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Not obeying medical requests – examples include: sleeping guard rails locked into place so a resident is prevented from falling out of bed, a patient is ordered to use a cane while walking, strict diet rules and more. If a doctor has given explicit rules for your loved ones’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this is likely nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure sores. If your family member is bedridden, a caregiver is expected to regularly examine them to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected regularly and bedsores develop, this is a sign that nursing home negligence could be present
- Failing to make the grounds safe and non-hazardous – nursing homes are in charge of making sure that the facility that your family member is a resident at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from possible hazards at the nursing home
- Neglect of simple hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, bathing and other self-care practices
- Neglect of core needs- such as sustenance, water, or offering a safe and hazard-free environment
It may feel as though you and your family member are fighting against something way over your head, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help your family during this difficult time. Our lawyers will make sure that your loved one is safe and protected, that you understand every step of the process, what type of damages can be sought and the options that are available to your older family member’s nursing home negligence claim in Edwardsville, IL. It certainly isn’t an easy choice to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to help and ensure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as pain-free and stress-free as possible. If your family has any questions at all throughout the process, our lawyers are available 24/7 to address them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Edwardsville, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that an everyday, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is residing in a nursing home, their basic needs like daily food and water, taking care of personal hygiene, social needs and other core basic needs should be attended to. If this level of care isn’t met, this might be a sign of nursing home negligence in Edwardsville, IL. Our nursing home negligence attorneys are available to assist those in Edwardsville with their negligence cases and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their mental and physical suffering. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a valid nursing home negligence claim in Edwardsville, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if your loved one is neglected and gets ill because of nursing home negligence, any medication costs, medical bills, ambulance costs, physical or mental therapy, and fees for required medical items can be claimed
- Pain and suffering – if an elderly patient in a nursing home is acting strange, is uncharacteristically depressed, frightened, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that disfigure their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an injured nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured in some way, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy expenses, fees associated with a resident’s medication, and physician appointments can definitely add up over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life – if a nursing home patient is unable to partake in past times that they enjoyed prior to nursing home negligence such as watching after their grandchildren, chatting with others, swimming and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Edwardsville, IL
It is vital to be aware of how to spot the signs of neglect in your loved one. If your loved one is randomly acting different or feeling odd, someone at their nursing home may be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can happen in various ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional injuries or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is critical to establish an open line of communication with family member that is in a nursing home. Speaking openly about things such as finances, what to do if someone they don’t know enters their room or what they can do if they aren’t being given regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene help and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Edwardsville, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Edwardsville, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Edwardsville, IL, are knowledgeable in all areas of personal injury. If your loved one has been injured or neglected by their caregiver or nursing home employees, our lawyers are available to help you fight against the retirement home and guarantee that your family member is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the main goal of nursing home employees should be to preserve the honor, self-esteem and respect of your loved one, not act cruelly and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you think that your family member is a victim of nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our attorneys. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are willing to meet in a place that works best for you. Our attorneys will do everything to fight for your family member’s case and ensure that they’ll receive the highest amount of compensation for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence attorneys can help you and your elderly family member stop your family member’s suffering from nursing home negligence in Edwardsville, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.