Nursing Home Negligence Pulaski County, IL
Roughly 2.5 million elderly adults are exposed to nursing home negligence in the U.S. every year. There are various ways that nursing home negligence can happen, but it is generally physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your loved one is suffering from nursing home negligence in Pulaski County, IL, the smartest thing that can be done is to speak to our experienced attorneys as soon as possible so that they can handle the situation. Our lawyers are skilled in all areas affiliated with personal injury and will make sure that you and your neglected family member are safe and protected when facing nursing home negligence in Pulaski County, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Pulaski County, IL
Nursing home negligence occurs when an employee at a nursing home neglects their patients’ level of care and doesn’t do their job at the level that they are expected to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your older family member at serious risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is happening in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is important to act quickly and get legal help. Nursing home employees are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t provided, negligent caretakers can face severe consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Pulaski County, IL
It can be hard to second-guess your family member’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it is important to check in on them and make sure that you know the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can present itself a variety of ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Pulaski County, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or an element has changed about their personality, this could be the sign of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home employees to properly give nursing home residents their medication. If your family member hasn’t been on their medicine or has been given incorrect dosages of their medication, this can be due to nursing home negligence
- Not following medical orders – examples include: safety guard rails up so they won’t fall out of bed, a patient is recommended to use a walker while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has given explicit orders for your family members’ care and they aren’t being heeded to, this is considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as pressure ulcers. If your family member is advised to stay in bed, nursing home staff is expected to check in on them often to avoid ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected regularly and pressure sores develop, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence is happening
- Failure to keep the facility safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your loved one is a patient at is safe and that their caretakers are doing everything in their power to keep your family member safe from potential hazards in the facility
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other self-care practices
- Neglect of basic needs- such as food, water, or providing a safe and clean environment
It may seem like you and your loved one are battling against something that is uncontrollable, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to provide legal counsel during this difficult time. Our lawyers will ensure that your loved one is secure and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the options that are available to your family’s nursing home negligence case in Pulaski County, IL. It already isn’t an easy decision to have your elderly loved one placed in a nursing home, much less have them subjected to nursing home negligence. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are here to help and put their all into making sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as simple and stress-free as possible. If you and your family have any questions at all during the process, our attorneys are available 24/7 to offer guidance.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Pulaski County, IL
The legal definition of standard of care is defined as the amount of care that a, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is put into a nursing home, their fundamental needs such as regular food and water, maintained personal hygiene, communication needs and other fundamental needs should be taken care of. If this level of care is not performed, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence in Pulaski County, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help those in Pulaski County with their negligence cases and ensure that those affected by nursing home negligence can receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that are available to be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim in Pulaski County, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if your loved one is neglected and gets sick because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance fees, physical or cognitive therapy, and costs for required medical accessories can be claimed
- Mental and physical distress – if a nursing home resident is acting different than usual, is suddenly depressed, anxious, or is injured either physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home resident has scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that alter their appearance, monetary damages can be sought for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is diagnosed by a doctor as permanently disabled or disfigured to some degree, future medical bills can be recovered with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, expenses pertaining to a resident’s medication, and doctor appointments cab start to rack up over time, so our attorneys will assist you and you loved one with recovering monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home patient is not able to partake in activities that they used to enjoy like playing with their grandkids, speaking with others, walking and other activities because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, most states allow for recovery for this damage
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Pulaski County, IL
It is important to understand how to find the signs of negligent care. If your loved one is suddenly acting different or feeling odd, someone at their nursing home may be hurting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a number of ways, but is most often emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional abuse or social negligence include acting jumpy, heightened levels of anxiety or fright, and communicating less or not at all. If you find bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical marks on a nursing home patient’s body, this could be a sign of physical abuse. It is important to create an open line of communication with your loved one who lives in a nursing home. Talking openly about things such as financial matters, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they should do if they aren’t receiving regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help protect your loved one from nursing home negligence in Pulaski County, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Pulaski County, IL
Our nursing home negligence attorneys in Pulaski County, IL, are well-versed in all areas of personal injury. If your family member has been hurt or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our attorneys are ready to help you take action against the nursing home and guarantee that your loved one is safe and sound. Nursing home negligence is especially cruel, as the main goal of nursing home caregivers should be to preserve the dignity, confidence and respect of your loved one, not be mean and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence lawyers won’t stand for that, so if you are worried that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t delay in contacting our lawyers. While not everyone is eligible to receive compensation, most claims are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to travel to a place that works best for you. Our lawyers will do everything to fight for your loved one’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the highest amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. To speak with our nursing home negligence lawyers about how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help you and your loved one put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Pulaski County, IL, contact the nursing home negligence attorneys of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.