Nursing Home Negligence Valmeyer, IL
Approximately 2.5 million older adults are subjected to nursing home negligence in America per year. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can occur, but it is usually physical, financial, emotional or general neglect. If you find that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence in Valmeyer, IL, the best thing that can be done is to speak to our experienced attorneys immediately so that our attorneys can help take control of the situation. Our lawyers specialize in all topics affiliated with personal injury and will make it their priority to make certain that you and your neglected family member are secure and protected when exposing nursing home negligence in Valmeyer, IL.
What is Considered Nursing Home Negligence? Valmeyer, IL
Nursing home negligence when an employee at a nursing home ignores their patients’ level of care and does not do their job at the level that they are expected to. There are a variety of ways that nursing home negligence can present itself including physical, financial, emotional, sexual, general neglect and more. Nursing home negligence can put your loved one at serious risk, so if you think that nursing home negligence is going on in your loved ones’ nursing home, it is vital to act quickly and get legal help. Nursing home caregivers are expected to offer a certain standard of care under state law. If this standard of care isn’t given, negligent caretakers can face serious consequences including being sued for damages, facing steep fines and fees, losing their job, potential jail time and more depending on circumstances.
Common Types of Nursing Home Negligence Valmeyer, IL
It can be hard to question your loved one’s degree of care in their nursing home, but it is important to check in on them and be sure that you understand the signs of possible nursing home negligence. Nursing home negligence can manifest in various ways, but the most common examples of nursing home negligence in Valmeyer, IL, include:
- Mental distress- if your loved one is unnaturally quiet or something has jarringly changed about their personality, this could be the result of nursing home negligence
- Medical mistreatment – it is the responsibility of nursing home caretakers to accurately give nursing home residents their medication. If your loved one hasn’t been taking their medicine or has been given inaccurate amounts of their medication, this might be because of nursing home negligence
- Not following physicians’ requests – examples include: bed guard rails locked into place so a resident doesn’t fall out of bed, required to use a cane while mobile, dietary restrictions and more. If a physician has stated explicit orders for your family members’ treatment and they aren’t being heeded to, this can be considered nursing home negligence
- Decubitus ulcers – also known as bedsores. If your loved one is bedridden, a caretaker is expected to check in on them often to prevent ulcers or bedsores. If a bedridden patient is not inspected regularly and bedsores form, this is a symptom that nursing home negligence could possibly be at play
- Failure to keep the nursing home safe and hazard-free – nursing homes must be certain that the facility that your family member is a patient at is safe and that their caregivers are doing everything that they can to ensure your loved one’s protection from potential hazards in the facility
- Neglect of basic hygiene – cleaning, brushing teeth, showering and other personal hygiene practices
- Neglect of fundamental needs- such as meals, water, or offering a safe and clean environment
It may feel as though you and your family are fighting against something that is out of your control, but our nursing home negligence lawyers are available to help your family during this difficult time. Our attorneys will ensure that your loved one is secure and protected, that you know the various steps throughout the process, which damages you can seek and the paths that are available for your older family member’s nursing home negligence case in Valmeyer, IL. It already isn’t an easy decision to move your loved one into a nursing home, much less have them suffer from nursing home negligence. Our personal injury attorneys are ready to help and make sure that filing a claim against the negligent nursing home is as pain-free and uncomplicated as possible. If you and your family have any worries at all throughout the process, our attorneys are ready 24/7 to help answer them.
Nursing Home Negligence Laws Valmeyer, IL
The medical definition of standard of care is defined as the level of care that the average, relatively prudent person would provide. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, their basic needs such as regular food and water, upkeep on personal hygiene, social needs and other fundamental needs should be cared for. If this level of care isn’t given, this could be a sign of nursing home negligence in Valmeyer, IL. Our nursing home negligence lawyers are ready to assist those in Valmeyer with their negligence cases and make sure that they will receive the most in compensation for their injuries. Some of the more common types of damages that can be recovered with a powerful nursing home negligence claim in Valmeyer, IL, include:
- Medical expenses – if a resident is neglected and becomes ill because of nursing home negligence, any prescription costs, medical costs, ambulance fees, physical or mental therapy, and fees for required medical items can be recovered
- Mental and physical distress – if a patient is acting strange, is suddenly sad, frightened, or is distressed physically or mentally, pain and suffering damages may be recovered
- Disfigurement – if a nursing home patient sustains scars, hair loss, burns, amputation or other injuries that affect their appearance, damages can be recovered for these injuries if they are caused by a nursing home caregiver
- Future expenses – if an elderly nursing home resident is deemed by a doctor to be permanently disabled or disfigured in any way, future medical costs can be reclaimed with a legitimate nursing home negligence claim. Physical therapy costs, expenses associated with a resident’s medication, and doctor visits have a tendency to buildup over time, so our attorneys will help you recover monetary damages for future expenses
- Lack of happiness – if a nursing home patient is no longer able to partake in activities that they used to enjoy like chasing after their grandchildren, speaking with others, hiking and other past times because of damage caused by nursing home negligence, many states will award damages for this type of claim
Protecting Your Loved Ones from Nursing Home Negligence Valmeyer, IL
It is vital to learn how to spot the signs of nursing home negligence in your elderly loved one. If your elderly family member is inexplicably acting strange or has bruises, caregivers at their nursing home could be neglecting them. Nursing home negligence can occur in a number of ways, but is generally emotionally, physically and financially present. Signs of emotional harm or social negligence include jumpiness, increased levels of anxiety or fright, and talking less than usual. If you spot bruises, cuts, scrapes or other physical injuries on your loved one’s body, this could be caused by physical abuse. It is important to create an open line of communication with family member that lives in a nursing home. Speaking openly about things such as finances, what to do when someone inappropriately enters their room or what they can do if they don’t have access to regular food, water, medication, personal hygiene care and more can help keep your family member from nursing home negligence in Valmeyer, IL.
Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers in Valmeyer, IL
Our nursing home negligence lawyers in Valmeyer, IL, are experienced in all aspects of personal injury. If your loved one has been harmed or neglected by their caretaker or nursing home staff, our attorneys are available to help you fight against the nursing home and guarantee that your loved one is safe and protected. Nursing home negligence is especially mean, as the primary goal of nursing home staff should be to preserve the dignity, self-esteem and respect of your loved one, not knock them down and neglect them. Our nursing home negligence attorneys won’t stand for that, so if you are worried that your family member is experiencing nursing home negligence, don’t hesitate to contact our attorneys. While not everyone is able to recover compensation, most cases are. Consultations are free and our attorneys are available to meet in a location that works best for you. Our lawyers will put their all into fighting for your family member’s case and make sure that they’ll receive the highest amount of monetary damages for their pain and suffering. For more information on how our nursing home negligence lawyers can help your family put an end to your love one’s nursing home negligence in Valmeyer, IL, contact the nursing home negligence lawyers of Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C., today.